Charleston Cruise Port Terminal information
Last updated on December 17th, 2018 at 01:19 pm
South Carolina Port Authority cruise passenger terminal is located on 196 Concord Street. Cruise passengers should go to Gate 2 of the Union Pier Terminal, the entrance of which is at the Concord and Laurens intersection near Washington Street. Located in the Charleston’s downtown area, the port can be reached easily by way of Interstate 26, Highway 17-South and Highway 17-North.
Though there are signs pointing the way, the port authority has started construction of a new passenger terminal (which is good news – the old one is very small and dated), so the current terminal is a bit obscured from the road. For a landmark, the stately U.S. Customs House on Concord Street.
Downtown Charleston is rich in history with period architecture, much of which was built before the Revolution. There are wonderful restaurants, unique boutiques and art galleries to enjoy before or after your cruise, much of which is within walking distance from the terminal. Check out these top Charleston attractions.
Carnival Cruise Charleston
Charleston is the departure point for trips to a variety of Bahamas, Bermuda and Caribbean destinations offered by Carnival Cruises. The Carnival Ecstasy and Sunshine are the ships which will sail from Charleston in 2019.
Charleston Embarkation Tips:
– check-in is from Noon – 3:00pm only; if you arrive in town on an early flight, you may drop off your luggage for storage between 9am-11am, but are not permitted to wait at the terminal until check in.
– luggage must be dropped off at the Union Pier luggage collection site before checking in
– Cruise passengers will be asked to present their cruise tickets and IDs at the gate, along with proof of citizenship.
– Special needs passengers – cruise staff are very helpful. If help is needed, just ask. Often there is even a special line for those who have difficult standing in line or walking long distances.
– debarkation typically begins at 8am, but you can often “walk off” with your luggage as early as 7am.
– if your car is parked at the port, free shuttles will transport you and your luggage back to the parking lot to pick up your car
– if someone is picking you up, there are designated parking lots in front of the terminal at 196 Concord Street